History of The Oaks Victorian Inn
Steeped in romance from the moment construction began in 1889, this majestic Queen Anne Victorian was built as a wedding gift from Major William Pierce to his bride Julia Baird. They decided to call their home The Oaks named for the gigantic 300+-year-old towering oaks surrounding the property. The Pierces married in 1891 and moved in upon completion in 1893. They raised a family of 7 children here, all born in the room now known as The Julia Pierce Room. William, an investor, insurance agent and entrepreneur was always seen in public dressed in formal attire. It is said that even when gardening he wore a coat, tie and dress straw hat. The Pierces loved to entertain, and Julia was a grand hostess decorating their home for many festive occasions. William passed on May 6, 1949, and Julia remained in her beloved home until her death on November 25, 1968, just shy of her 99th birthday. Members of the Pierce Family lived in the house until 1981 when the property was sold to Thomas and Mary Lou Hardy.
[Read Room Information…]
The Hardys, with two-dozen workmen, spent 9 months updating the interior and restoring the exterior of the house to its original charm. Tom and Mary Lou removed the aluminum siding added years prior and restored the weather boarding to its original Victorian yellow. During restoration, they were careful to keep all the original ornate radiators, which are still used to heat the house. The kitchen was updated, walls were insulated, bathrooms were added, and the attic was finished, creating a retreat for Tom and a play area for their children. The Hardy family moved in Halloween weekend 1982 and remained in the house for 7 years.In 1989, Tom and Margaret Ray purchased the property converting it to what is now The Oaks Victorian Inn. Tom, an architect, added built-in bookcases to the library and converted the sun porch into a formal dining room complete with a beautiful working fireplace to warm guests in the cold winter months. The original dining room was converted to a large guest room, Sir Christopher’s Chambers
, and the swinging pantry door now opens to a dressing area and bathroom. In 1993, 100 years after construction, The Oaks Victorian Inn was named to the National Registry of Historic Places. In 1996, the inn received the prestigious AAA 4 diamond award for excellence and continues to win this award every year.
The Oaks Victorian Inn changed hands in December of 2004, then again in April 2010 when the present owners, Linda and Bernie Wurtzburger, became the caretakers of this very special home.
“What a warm and relaxing stay we had again this year. Your home offers us the quiet that we always need and enjoy. Linda, your breakfast was absolutely delicious and we concluded that we need an “Edie” in our home too. Thank you for another lovely stay and we plan to come again and try yet a third room to stay in.” – Joanna and Glenn, Purcellville, Virginia